Saturday 5 September 2009

Feeling thankful.

So my last post came at the beginning of summer when I was very much experiencing the 'post uni' syndrome. Since then, a lot, yet not a lot has happened, a few weddings, graduations, test matches and festivals have passed, which has filled the time really nicely, even though I have still had a lot of down time.

It's been a great summer in many ways, and also a difficult one. A few issues have been running through my head and have really been dragging down, yet thanks to God's grace I have been able to see, not necessarily overcome my fears, but see a greater perspective, and certainly feel than long term joy and peace that knowing God brings.

This is not a post about my issues I guess, but one that stems from a heart of thankfulness. A state of mind that I can get into when I purposely make myself and become less introverted and long to serve others, and take note of how many people serve me, so lovingly, which in tern humbles me greatly. I must say, this is a much more satisfying mindset than one that is focused purely on myself.

I was at my Grandma's 80th birthday celebration today. I was just struck when I got home and thought about the day, how blessed I am to have so many people in my life who care about me and take a vested interest in me. The love and beauty that I saw around the party this afternoon was wonderful. Granted, we as a family may not be anything special. We are all fairly plain, simple, average looking people I suppose. Although having said that I would then argue that the females are certainly above average. Us guys just seem to be declining, fairly rapidly it would seem! But oh well...

It seems that today God opened up my eyes to a new kind of beauty. A beauty that I have been searching for for sometime. The beauty of fellowship, love and care, the beauty of interesting convosation and laughter. The beauty of just enjoying one and others company and the beauty of knowing God with all your heart, and letting that be your everything in your life, your reason for living, the one your go for in times of happiness and in times of need.

It's so freeing to see and feel this, and I wish it was something everyone could see.

I'm thankful for my family. I'm thankful for my friends, who I feel I don't treat as well as I should. If I really loved God, I would love my friends more. I really want to tell them more how much appreciate them, but I feel if I kept saying it I would get a bit annoying!

It's so beautiful to see a servant heart. When my Grandma was making her speech this afternoon, she said thank you for everything to my Granddad. Slightly confused by this, and to much hilarity, he simply replied "What for?"

I long to live the rest of my life as a servant to others, so they may know the goodness of God that I have received. I also long never to loose this perspective I can live my life through and never the goodness of God in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment